Two Red Flags of BAD Nootropic Stacks
There’s two very popular Nootropic ingredients that make me raise a skeptical eyebrow when I see them in a product.
Huperzine, which we’ll discuss first, is an effective energizing Nootropic but less is really more. You really wouldn’t want to dose more than 100 micrograms daily of Huperzine-A and ideally less, like 50 micrograms daily.
What many users of popular Nootropic stacks don’t know is that large doses of it maybe toxic. You really want to be taking miniscule amounts of the stuff. At doses over 50 micrograms you run into side effects like insomnia, anxiety, high blood pressure, slowed heart rate, restlessness, sweating, loss of appetite, contraction of muscle fibers, constipation, and twitching.
Huperzine stays in your system for at least 24 hours. When you consume 400 mcg of huperzine (which is a common dosage in many stacks) the next day after you think that the Nootropic’s effects have worn off there’s actually still 200 mcg in your system. The Huperzine in your system really accumulates when you then take another 400 mcg, or maybe more if you mega-dose a Nootropic stack containing it. The extremely popular podcaster Joe Rogan often talks about taking 6–8 capsules of Alpha BRAIN which is WAY too much Huperzine. Huperzine really doesn’t belong in your daily stack.
The final really important thing to understand about Huperzine is that it is cheap — really cheap at .0006 cents per dose or 2 cents for a month’s supply! If you want to make a killing, get into the Huperzine business!
The second “Nootropic” that you should be very wary of is DMAE. DMAE is an awful pseudo-Nootropic with some concerning (and often undiscussed) side effects. The consensus of the Biohacker community seems to be that DMAE isn’t worth it. Scientific literature suggests that…
- DMAE causes birth defects.
- DMAE is not metabolized into choline in the brain.
- DMAE inhibits choline kinase.
- DMAE inhibits choline transport.
A not insignificant amount of self experimenters report unpleasant effects from it…
- Hyperactivity is a frequent complaint
- Loss of focus
- Loss of motivation
- Steep tolerance curve of diminishing positive effects
Finally, it tastes downright demonic! In powder form it’s one of the nastiest supplements you can ingest.
If you’re going to take Nootropics you really don’t want to waste your time (or your money) and you certainly don’t want to take something that may actually do you harm. Check out this playlist of critiques of Nootropics and products that I see as problematic.
In other news, my new book How to Be Cross Eyed: Thriving Despite Your Physical Imperfection — a mémoire and lifehacking manifesto has been published on Amazon.com please order it today!
For the longest time people have been telling me to write a book and I finally have! About half of the content in it is devoted to the best lifehacks and biohacks that I’ve researched and self experimented with in the past decade. If you don’t have the time to read the +500 articles on my website and watch all the videos on my Youtube channel just read this. The other half is fresh material that I haven’t published elsewhere. If reading yet another self help or health book doesn’t exactly excite you, you’ll want to read this! It’s a memoire and lifehacking manifesto; a hybrid of Tim Ferriss’s 4-Hour books, Dave Asprey’s Head Strong and Tucker Max’s I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell — early reviewers have commented that the entertaining story telling makes it a fun and engrossing read.
Some of what you’ll find in the book…
- Lifehacking your looks — I go in depth on lifehacks for optimizing your aesthetics and look for success in life and love.
- The secret lives of alpha males — I don’t delve deeply into the theoretical discussion of alpha vs beta males, I don’t totally understand the subject and I suspect most of the people arguing so virulently about it online don’t either. What I do is tell what I’ve learned from alpha males.
- The fundamental lifehack that gives you any other thing that you desire.
- The Best Nootropics — People often ask me: Jonathan what is the best Nootropic for __? I reveal the best smart drugs for discipline, positive mood, long term memory, enhancing cognition, wakefulness, focus, overcoming anxiety and stress along with promoting libido and testosterone.
- Biohacking safety — I’m a major advocate of safe and conservative use of supplements and Biohacking technologies. In this chapter I outline my guidelines for safety in your Biohacking. Includes the 12 HIGH risk Nootropics to be wary of.
- How your selfish genes are ruining your life and how to defy them.
- How to enhance verbal intelligence and grasp of vocabulary.
- A 30 minute flowstate cocktail — In the past few years there’s been several very good books on flow; the altered state of extreme focus. But I’ve found these books to be a bit short on practical how-to’s for reaching and cultivating flow. I’ve put together a very practical chapter full of lifehacks for finding flow.
- The technology trap — How use of the internet and technology is slowly, insidiously making you stupid and unhappy. How to undo the damage that technology does to your mind.
- Beating depression — A multi-pronged approach to truly overcoming depression.
- $1 diet hack — If you’re a bit confused and overwhelmed by nutrition science, I clarify things with a tasty $1 diet hack that will save you time and money anywhere in the world!
- Biohacking without Nootropics and fancy products — I’ve spent a lot of time in countries where I didn’t have access to all these awesome biohacking products that we’d all love to have in our lives. I list a number of biohacks that you can take advantage of without spending a cent.
- The four pillars of curing adult ADHD.
- The Social Anxiety Protocol — A rigorous and unconventional approach to overcoming social anxiety using Nootropics, gamification and lifehacking tools.
- The often undiscussed dark sides of psychedelics — Psychedelics have become extremely popular recently but there’s some crucial things you should know about them that their popularizers don’t discuss.
- The Secret Society Infiltration Model for “Networking” — Networking matters. It’s not just a fad for pretentious, stylish people. It pays off if you do it right. You can 10X your networking by doing it within high affinity groups instead of just going to “networking” parties.
- Social dynamics self auditing — We all have verbal ticks or bad non-verbal communication habits which are invisible to us that hold us back from being as successful as we could be in social settings. I have a smart phone lifehack for self auditing and cleaning these up.
- Social dynamics secrets of elite socialites — How to make friends quickly and maintain your social circle of influence without wasting a bunch of time. How to deal with awkwardness. How to improve your voice. How to arbitrage your social capital. How to have more fun and accelerate your personal growth with… sobriety!
- How to suck at life yet still end up happy and successful.
- Travel — As a 6 year digital nomad I reveal which islands in latin America are literally off the map (that you should definitely visit!) Which city has an overpopulation of attractive women and which popular vacation destination country you should avoid. Along with my mindset hack for avoiding disaster and danger abroad.
- Pitfalls of entrepreneurship — How to avoid getting into business with psychopaths!
- Sex hacks — This book goes deep on the subject of well, your favorite thing to do! I reveal the tantric sex methods that have deeply enriched my relationship and life as a horizontal man. In the sex hacks I discuss natural, healthy contraception methods along with my go-to supplement for awesome sex. How to actually transmute your sexual energy as Napoleon Hill wrote about in Think and Grow Rich.
- Seduction — I frankly discuss my past life as a nomadic seducer and pickup artist. I don’t have a pickup product to pitch so I honestly discuss the upsides, some rarely discussed seduction hacks along with the perilous downsides and risks of this lifestyle.
- Dating hacks — How to not waste your damn time dating crappy people. Where to find someone to practice tantra with. How The Bible’s very misunderstood definition of love resolves so much of the confusion and heartache of modern dating. Includes a LITERAL million dollar piece of dating advice!
- How to NOT waste money on personal development — An economic hack for getting the maximum motivational bang for buck spent on personal growth.
- Ethical hedonism — How a wise lifehacker can enjoy the greater pleasures in life over the lesser pleasures.
- 5 Year Self Determination — Go beyond wishing, hoping, fantasizing and vision boarding with this method for long term life planning.
As you can tell by the title and subtitle this book is especially relevant for that one or two percent of the population that struggle with a physical imperfection. Which I fall into. I’m cross-eyed with Strabismus, which you can see in almost all of my Youtube videos.
But you don’t have to be cross eyed (or have a conspicuous physical imperfection) to enjoy this book. Really thriving requires an uncommon set of barely legal biohacking tools, social dynamics strategies from the fringes of polite society and rapid mindset transformation technologies which this lifehacking manifesto delves deeply into.
There’s certainly people out there with more conspicuous physical imperfections, who have it worse than I do. However, the eyes are the window to the soul, they really are a part of nearly every important human interaction. Not having normal eyes has been a disadvantage that I’ve needed to develop a specific set of skills and life strategies to overcome.
I wouldn’t blame you for maybe thinking: This looks like a great book… For men! Well, obviously that’s the perspective I’m writing from but my editor and partner in this project is a woman and she helped me at every stage to write a book that is, I hope, relevant also to the fairer sex.
Several months back I was describing this book to my lovely fiancée (now my wife!) and she asked me if the purpose of the book was to help the self esteem of people with physical imperfections.
This book is more about the lifehacks that I’ve employed over the past 15 years; strategies, methods and tools that really work to help you overcome the challenge of a physical imperfection and thrive. These things will likely improve your self esteem, but they will also work if you have low self esteem, or no self esteem (or too much self esteem — as I’m sometimes accused of having!) Self esteem is not my focus. My focus is on things that work.
I’ve had a pretty interesting life; I’ve seduced a politician’s daughter in Medellin, Colombia, I hung out with spies in Kiev, Ukraine. I’ve almost died underwater twice, I participated in a bank robbery and I lost my virginity to a spy (yes, really!) From having sex in a brand new Maserati and getting in high speed car chases to being deported from South American countries and representing the US Presidential candidate Donald J. Trump I’ve found the happiness that I didn’t give a damn about and realized my dream of becoming an adventuring philosopher.
I may sound like quite the pompous pontificator but I’ll offer no apologies because story telling is the best way to impart the unconventional mindset that saved me from mediocrity and the biohacks that enabled me to defy my selfish genes.
I’m not a theorist in the business of making generalizations. The tactics and tools presented here are for rigorous practitioners, ethical hedonists and open minded self experimenters.
If you’re bored of the tired problem>generalization>platitude>strategy formula that most self help books follow you’ll enjoy this memoir of adventures, failures and unexpected successes across three continents. I’ll share with you some powerful tools for transformation — biohacking, smart drugs, flowstate, red pill mindset and tantric sex — with which I’ve managed to pack several lifetimes’ worth of peak experiences into a single decade.
Please order it today on Amazon https://amzn.to/2VQwJdq ($9.99)
Directly on my own website https://www.limitlessmindset.com/books/231-how-to-be-cross-eyed (Hint: It’s a dollar less here!)
- I’ve recorded and produced an audio book that came out to 12 hours of listening time. The audio book is included, you’ll find a link in the first chapter with a few listening options.
- On Amazon the book is 540 pages which I know sounds like a lot but it includes a number of photos and graphics.
- It’s just a little shy of a 100,000 words total so not a tome that will take you months to get through.
- Print versions of the book will be available later this year. I’d love to offer signed versions of the book but I live in Bulgaria in Eastern Europe, it would be very costly to ship books here, sign them and then ship them to their customers. If you want a signed copy you might just have to come visit me!
Finally, I decided to launch this book in an independant crowdfunding campaign and some of you very generously supported it. A huge thank you! You have been thanked in the Acknowledgements page of the book.
New Book Review
The Adventure Formula: a Book Review of The 2AM Principle
Along with writing I’ve been doing a lot of reading recently. I thoroughly enjoyed this adventurer’s manifesto. Great to read along with my book!
Here’s something unsettling to consider…
In this article I explore various unsettling (yet statistically concerning) catastrophe scenarios and how a sapient biohacker might prep for survival with supplements like Potassium Iodide which mitigates biological damage from nuclear radiation.
Here's something unsettling to consider...
We've all enjoyed movies like Deep Impact or Armageddon where an asteroid or comet crosses paths in this entropic…
I’ve started a series of videos critiquing popular products that I think are deeply flawed. I do so in the hopes that their vendors will improve their products and bring something more ethical to the market. While free speech laws in the US protect my right to do so there’s certainly some risk in publicly criticizing bad products that are making their sellers a lot of money. Please support my work in whatever way you feel is best to empower me to continue to do so.
- The Truth About Joe Rogan’s Alpha Brain… — On close analysis the popular, celebrity endorsed stack is problematic to say the least.
- Neuro Peak vs Neuro Stack Comparison — Neuro Peak has gamed Amazon’s algorithms to get ranked very highly for Nootropics and as I show in this video it’s an awful product.
New Biohacker Review
Biohacker Review of the PeakIQ Energy Shot
You may have seen some of these energy shot products and wondered if they are legit sources of nutrition and energy. Most are not. The only thing you should be buying at a gas station is gas. But I finally found an credible herbal energy shot product that contains a bunch of high quality Adaptogens.
January Biohacking Q&A #21: Is beauty a social construct? (with my wife) We address some of January questions we’ve gotten…
- Is beauty a social construct?
- Should we reset culture with psychedelics?
- BACOGNIZE VS SYNAPSA?
- And more…
January Biohacking Q&A #21: Is beauty a social construct? (with my wife)
All Science References & Sources https://www.limitlessmindset.com/podcast/1572-q-a-21 Connect with Jonathan on Facebook…
Looking forward to a Limitless 2019 with you!